tempest in a beer glass

more on the russell coaster issue...


i posted a link to my previous post on my facebook and here are a couple of the responses i got from male friends:


"I get what you are saying, and I think you know my opinion on homophobia. Having said that, as a guy, I was taught this as an etiquette thing, nothing to do with orientation. You don't look at a guys junk, while he's doing his business. You don't try and look down a ladies top when she bends over. You know, that type of thing. 
Hey, let's have a beer."

"I kind of agree with [guy #1]. While I can see how it could be construed as being homophobic, I look at it more of a privacy issue than anything else. I wouldn't want anyone looking over the top of my stall either while I was doing my business
That being said, I love to be a bit of a shit disturber and diliberately look over at other dudes just to make them un-comfortable. But I blame that on the six pack I am currently wizzing out. ;)"

and i agree with guy #1 as well
however...
regardless of whether or not it was intended to be homophobic, there's no denying that reading it as such is not coming from way out in left (or right) field.
i think russell brewing should have realized this and not printed these coasters.


after reviewing the other russell brewing coasters i have posted photos of on this blog, none of which were as blatantly (potentially) offensive as the one above, they are all quite hetero and male oriented
gee marketing department, did you think only hetero, white, able-bodied males drink your beer?
maybe they're the biggest population, but its just short-sighted to ignore (and possibly alienate) the rest of your market

the part that i think upsets me the most
and here's where i show you just how non-activist i actually am
is that i took the previous coasters at face value and found them amusing
now that i've seen one that offended me, i went back and looked at the others with my politically correct glasses on and found them quite lacking in social awareness
now i feel i have to take a stand
and anyone who knows me knows what that means
no more drinking russell products
no more going to russell sponsored events
and unfortunately for everyone, making sure you all know why i'm boycotting russell
unless of course russell brewing responds in a half-way satisfactory manner
(and yes, i did send them a link to my previous blog post and my blog in general so they know i'm offended)
so you see, now i'm not just offended by the coaster
i'm resentful of russell brewing 'making me' climb back up on my soapbox
geesh! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

brewing up gender parity

the end of an era

label of love